Mike Parrish is the Unit Coordinator and the Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Agent for the Dinwiddie Extension Office. Mike currently serves as the Dinwiddie Master Gardener Program Advisor.
In 1989 Mike received his Associates Degree in Agriculture Technology from Virginia Tech. Mike also received a Bachelors of Science Degree in Horticulture at Virginia Tech in 1992 and earned his Masters Degree in Extension Education in 1996 from Virginia Tech.
Mike started his career with Virginia Cooperative Extension in 1993 as the Agriculture Agent in Greensville County. From 1996 to Present Mike has served as Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Agent where his program responsibilities range from row crop production and forages to commercial and home horticulture.
Before coming to Extension Mike worked for two years with Southern States Cooperative in North Carolina as a Manager Trainee and an Assistant Manager. Mike worked at both the Mebane and Hillsboro Stores. In addition to the stores, Mike helped manage the stores site fertilizer blend plant and two store nurseries.
In 1995 and 1996 Parrish worked in the College of Agriculture and Life Science Academic Programs Office as a Graduate Assistant with responsibilities in Alumni Relations and Undergraduate Student Recruitment. Mike also taught special study classes in Cotton and Peanut Production for the two and four year students and a class in Careers in Agriculture for undecided students.
During the summer of 1997, Mike worked as a summer intern at the Tidewater Agriculture Research and Extension Center. Mike worked with both field staff and Extension Specialists in management and data collection of Peanut, Corn and Soybeans research plots.
- National Association of County Agents
- Virginia Association of Agriculture Extension Agents
- Virginia Extension Service Association
- Epsilon Sigma Phi
- Virginia Agribusiness Council
- National Pesticide Stewardship Alliance
- National Agriculture Alumni and Development Association
- Virginia Governors School for Agriculture Advisory Committee
- Virginia Peanut Growers Association
- 1999 – Virginia Pesticide Control Board, Pesticide Disposal Program Award
- 2000 – Virginia Pesticide Control Board, Pesticide Container Recycling Program Award
- 2001 - Appomattox River Soils and Conservation District, Outstanding Environmental Programming Award
- 2004 – Virginia Agribusiness Council, Extension Service Award
- 2005 – College Agriculture and Life Science, Alumni Leadership Award
- 2008 - Appomattox River Soils and Conservation District, Outstanding Environmental Programming Award
- 2009 – College Of Agriculture and Life Science, Agriculture Technology, Outstanding Alumni Awards, VA Pesticide Control Board Award for Outstanding Pesticide Educational Programs
- 2010 - National Association of County Agricultural Agents - Communication Award, VA Pesticide Control Board Award for Outstanding Pesticide Educational Programs, Virginia Tech, Extension Excellence Award
- 2011 - Virginia Pesticide Control Board - Outstanding Pesticide Safety Education Program, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Distinguished Service Award - Excellence in Extension Education Programs